Sunday, January 15, 2012

Some thoughts on a Sunday

I watched 'Unforgiven' and was reminded how incredible it is. Thanks, Newlin, for mentioning it online as a reminder that I needed to watch it again. I'm not a big Clint Eastwood fan, but I love him in this. Of course Morgan Freeman is great as well. This is probably my favorite movie about friendship. 

Speaking of friends, I have the best friends in the world. Funny, intelligent, empathetic pillars of greatness. I love joking with them. I love traveling with them. I love partying with them. 

Speaking of friends, codependency is no fun. Neither is cutting off all communication with a best friend. But when things get toxic, heartless, and mindless, you have to go by my old saying, "when beset by the trials that love gets us in/ love and loves must be jettisoned."

The 49ers are on the brink of the Super Bowl, if they win at home vs. the New York Giants. I love sports, and I laugh that so many of my friends scoff at the very thought of sports. Some of the greatest, most intellectual, fulfilling conversations I've ever had have been sports-related. My favorite books have sports as underlying themes. Sports provide me with the healthy, manageable happiness/sadness spectrum. I'd much rather feel the crushing loss of my team's playoff troubles than go through another emotionally turbulent relationship with an unstable ex(I, too, being unstable).

I love being able to get a coffee & an Oreo McFlurry at McD's for the price of a coffee at a local cafe, while also proudly wearing a football jersey that'd otherwise be scoffed at at said cafes by the v-necked unwashed masses that have no idea that I could out-pretentious them at nearly any discipline they'd purport to hold dearly. 

I digress. I'm happy, and getting to the good place I need to be at in order to get my life back on track, as I've been off the rails for a few years now. 

Pax vobiscum. 

2 comments:

Ms. Berg said...

I enjoyed this. And I'm sorry about the best friend deal. Went through the same thing this past year so I'm there with you. It's incredibly hard but also incredibly liberating. Weird paradox, eh?

Thirdmango said...

Though I'm not an avid sports watcher, as you know I do like to watch finals and a couple of other things.